National Irrigation Board (NIB)
Scope of Service
- Feasibility study;
- Detail design;
- Environmental and social impact assessment study, and resettlement action plans; and
- Tender document preparation·
The project is located on River Thuchi, at the edge of Mt. Kenya forest, on the border of Embu and Tharaka Nithi County and consisted of a 90m high multipurpose rockfill dam and a 10km connection pipeline to existing pipe to irrigate about 6600ha of land, provide domestic water and generate electricity for tea factories in Runjenjes Sub-county in Embu County..
Some of the positive impacts of Thuchi dam include;
- Food security due to increased crop productivity.
- Enhance environmental conservation due to reduction in use of biofuel
- Downstream flood mitigation.
- Improved health due to reduction in water borne diseases.
- Time and effort saving as distance from water point to homestead is reduced.
- Better education due to reduces absenteeism caused by sickness, and
- Social benefits as the dam can be used for recreation, eg fishing, boating, swimming, camping and hiking.